Beginning Friday, August 28, 2016, the Criminal Advocacy Program (C.A.P.) will present a series of seminars at the CAYMC Erma Henderson Auditorium and Make-up Seminars at FMHJ in the Jury Assembly Room. The following policies apply for :
- Notice of this year's seminar schedule will be done by e-mail and posted on the C.A.P. website, www.capwayne.org. Printed notices will be placed in the Assigned Counsel Office, Attorneys' Lounge, FMHJ Library (Room 810) and on each floor of FMHJ. Notice by e-mail will save C.A.P. thousands of dollars and enable the Wayne County Criminal Defense Attorneys Association to have more funds for trial defense resources.
- Attorneys with more than ten (10) years in practice will be required to attend at least four (4) sessions this fall; attorneys with less than ten (10) years in practice must attend six (6) sessions. For all attorneys, no more than two (2) sessions can be done by video tape make-up sessions. The number of required sessions has been increased to reflect the bench and bar's continuing commitment to excellence in trial advocacy.
- Certification of attendance is required in order to obtain court assignments in Wayne County.
- Seminars will begin promptly on time on each scheduled day. Evaluations will be distributed until 15 minutes after the scheduled start time, and must be completed and turned in to obtain credit for attending. No evaluation may be turned in until the seminar concludes.
- Video/DVD Make-Up Sessions will be scheduled on the alternate weeks of the CAP Live Seminars. This change was made to accommodate the busy schedules of the Court and members of the bar. In the past, the court administration have run several series of videos, but it has become too burdensome for the court to repeatedly run videos.
- Videos of each C.A.P. session and written handouts will be posted and remain available at www.capwayne.org. Please note that the web viewing will not qualify for credit and certification purposes. Attorneys who miss sessions must still follow the makeup procedure. The make-up date schedule will be distributed at the final C.A.P. session in December.